2-way SMS service – a combination of MT and MO services, allowing the CLIENT to transmit messages and receive replies from the End User.
The service is provided through a virtual number, issued by the provider. Depending on the destination country, virtual numbers can be presented by long codes, short codes or standard phone numbers.
- Short code : 114, 4565,.. (usually up to 5-6 digits)
- Long code : 0133-xxxx-xxx (Korea) (special virtual number, does not look like a real phone number; issued by designated entity in each country)
- Standard phone number : 7-914-xxx-xx-xx, 82-10-xxxx-xxxx (in some countries Mobile carriers provide numbers similar to standard mobile numbers)
2-way service is widely used for various purposes:
- Advertisement opt-out (unsubscribing)
- Customer care lines (*with TOLL-free numbers)
- Polls and surveys
- Marketing campaigns
SureM 2-way SMS service flow
MO (Mobile Originated) – message transmission from a handset device to a client (program) or application.
MO service is often used as part of 2-way SMS service (MT/MO combination).
In this case, companies send MT message first and receive a response from the end user.
MT : To unsubscribe from this newsletter reply STOP.
MO : STOP (it will automatically be forwarded to the MT sender)
The service provider is assigning a certain Sender ID (long or short code) and the Client might receive MO messages from the end users, sent to the designated Sender ID. The procedure looks similar to the standard MT flow, only the other way around, with message originating on the mobile device.
The most common cases for MO service usage are :
- Talent show voting (“To vote for Kelly send KELLY to 1234”)
- “Request a song” shows
- TV Homeshopping (“Send us the item number to receive a free consultation”)
- Subscribing to newsletters
The term 2-way SMS basically means a solution offering both MT SMS and MO SMS in one combination.
When it comes to receiving response from customers, conducting marketing survey, collecting votes and many other projects – 2-way SMS can we a powerful tool to build a connection with your target audience.
So what is the standard for MO numbers and 2-way SMS in South Korea?
There are 2 types of virtual numbers that can be assigned to the company for collecting MO SMS : Short Codes (SC) and Long Codes (LC).
Long codes : 0133-xxx-xxxx (format)
Registration takes up to 3 business days and usage entails monthly fee and per MO SMS price.
Short Codes : contact email@example.com for details.
The ways to implement the code in your SMS are :
- Use it as Sender ID – in this case, people can simply reply to SMS they receive and you will be able to collect all the responses in your system.
- Insert it in the body of SMS – a preferred method if you want to use multiple MO numbers for your campaign or absolutely need to keep the Sender ID different.