2-way SMS service – a combination of MT and MO services, allowing the CLIENT to transmit messages and receive replies from the End User.
The service is provided through a virtual number, issued by the provider. Depending on the destination country, virtual numbers can be presented by long codes, short codes or standard phone numbers.
- Short code : 114, 4565,.. (usually up to 5-6 digits)
- Long code : 0133-xxxx-xxx (Korea) (special virtual number, does not look like a real phone number; issued by designated entity in each country)
- Standard phone number : 7-914-xxx-xx-xx, 82-10-xxxx-xxxx (in some countries Mobile carriers provide numbers similar to standard mobile numbers)
2-way service is widely used for various purposes:
- Advertisement opt-out (unsubscribing)
- Customer care lines (*with TOLL-free numbers)
- Polls and surveys
- Marketing campaigns
SureM 2-way SMS service flow
MO (Mobile Originated) – message transmission from a handset device to a client (program) or application.
MO service is often used as part of 2-way SMS service (MT/MO combination).
In this case, companies send MT message first and receive a response from the end user.
MT : To unsubscribe from this newsletter reply STOP.
MO : STOP (it will automatically be forwarded to the MT sender)
The service provider is assigning a certain Sender ID (long or short code) and the Client might receive MO messages from the end users, sent to the designated Sender ID. The procedure looks similar to the standard MT flow, only the other way around, with message originating on the mobile device.
The most common cases for MO service usage are :
- Talent show voting (“To vote for Kelly send KELLY to 1234”)
- “Request a song” shows
- TV Homeshopping (“Send us the item number to receive a free consultation”)
- Subscribing to newsletters